User Post: Even McDonald's is not a happy place anymore

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I was a bit shocked today by the news that McDonald's has decided to change the Happy Meal. I am actually disturbed by how upsetting this change is to me. Three years ago, McDonald's began offering apples as a choice instead of fries with the Happy Meal. I tasted the apples once. I did not care for them as they had a bitter after-taste. Most people must have shared my opinion of the apples, because three years later only twelve percent of consumers regularly order the apples over the fries. This is where the story begins to get really disturbing. McDonald's has decided to include the apples in every Happy Meal with a smaller portion of fries. This is not because of great demand for the apples obviously. This was done to appease a group of people who believe that it is their right to govern what we feed our children.

I recognize that McDonald's food is not healthy when consumed in large quantities. A matter of fact, there is not one type of food that is good for you when consumed in large quantities. I do not see an issue with taking my four children to McDonald's on Tuesday nights. It is something that I have done since my oldest daughter could enjoy the play place. I love the fact that my three year old and my almost thirteen year old both look forward to these trips. My children are all healthy and do not suffer from any weight related issues. Commonsense dictates that one fast food meal a week will not pose significant risk to overall health. As a nurse by profession, I know that obesity is a serious issue for our youth. Obesity is complex and is caused by a multitude of genetic, internal, and external influences. Interestingly, the average school lunch has more calories than a Happy Meal.

McDonald's has removed the happiness from the Happy Meal by changing their business practices to please this fanatical group. These health nuts are not paying customers. Actual customers were presented with an option of apples or fries three years ago. This change was unnecessary as any customer is free to order whatever they may choose themselves without the interference of regulation from outsiders. I believe that this alteration is no different that some fitness crazed, food policeman standing behind you in line and forcing you to order the healthy choices only.

I am also saddened because the Happy Meal was a vestige of my childhood. I have some happy memories of enjoying the tasty burger, barely able to contain my excitement for the surprise toy. Perhaps I am a bit nostalgic, but I cherish those few childhood experiences that have seemed to survive the test of time and technology. A Happy Meal was a tradition. Take away a few fries, add some apples, pour in a heaping dose of political correctness and you get the More Healthy Meal. No matter how many times I say it, it just does not sound right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Lifestyle © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets