Burn Calories With--- Yoga!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Burn Calories With--- Yoga!

Yogis have a dirty little secret. They know that yoga--the activity most often associated with deep breathing and totally chillaxing after a stressful day-- can also be one of the biggest asana-kickers out there.

I've had top personal trainers, big, muscle-bound dudes, come up to me after class and shake my hand. One pro football player recently told me, "I work out hard, and this is one of the hardest things I've ever done."

Because of yoga, I think nothing of holding a handstand through the entirety of "Heartbreaker" by Taio Cruz. Get me on a beach and I'll run it. Show me a Stairmaster and I'll show it who the master is. I do nothing but a strong yoga practice 4-5 times a week for one hour, yet I'm fit, strong, heart-healthy and ready to tackle any LBD that comes my way. Did I mention I'm almost 40?

I'm also smart enough to know that if I'm going to sweat and ask a lot of my body, I also want to use the time to get detoxified, anti-aged, hormonally balanced, more flexible and finally be able to frickin' calm down my Type A personality. I don't have enough minutes in the day to do all these things separately, so I want my Zen, and my cardio, too!

Yes, all exercise releases endorphins, burns calories and makes you look and feel better. But only yoga gives you a deeper breathing, stretching, calorie-burning practice that also-- and at the same time--- builds lean, whole-body muscle density that will keep your metabolism raised all day (and night) long.

Related: A Yoga Move to Give 'The Girls' a Pick-Me-Up!

So when it comes to lasting weight loss, which is not about deprivation but about eating enough, eating healthy, and having a body that's a fat-burning machine, this multitasker need look no farther than yoga.

In order to transform, you have to work hard, there's no way around it. However, working out smarter means you have to feel uncomfortable for far less time. And the benefits are so worth it, that soon you'll be diving into your exercise time with gusto.

Related: A Single Yoga Move To Get Rid of "Chicken Arms" For Good!

For the best results, try a good, sweat-inducing power yoga, vinyasa yoga or other class that makes you move more than usual without killing you or making you hate your teacher, and you'll transform your body, along with your mind and heart—faster than you can say Namaste.

For a great whole-body yoga workout, I offer a Yoga For Weight Loss sequence—do one part, or all 4 for a total 30-minute weight loss activator! You can check out my videos, step by step here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Lifestyle © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets