Michelle Dewberry On Business, Friendship And Fashion

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Michelle Dewberry first came to our attention way back in 2006 when she determinedly worked her way to the top of the heap in the second series of The Apprentice. Following a stint working for Sir Alan Sugar, Michelle decided to follow her dream to be her own boss, which led to yesterday's launch of her brand-new shopping site for thrifty girls, Chiconomise.com. She took some time out of the launch process (we can imagine exactly how busy she must be!) to have a chat with GLAMOUR.com  about what it's like to be a young, female businesswoman, the benefits of working with a friend...and her favourite summer trend.
Congrats on your site relaunch!  What's your top advice for young women who are aiming to start their own businesses like you?
First  thing is first: you've got to take a sheet of paper and be brutally honest with yourself, and analyse what your strengths and weaknesses are. Be honest about whether you have got the skill set to do it on your own. Don't underestimate how hard it is. My relaunch is a joint venture with Vicky Zadeh - I've known her since I was 18 and I'm 30 now.  I can't even tell you the pleasure that I'm getting this time around from something so simple as getting a business partner. We're good for each other - I kind of get stroppy, and she's really good because she's a lot more diplomatic than me. We just complement each other.
Tell us about Chiconomise. What's the idea behind it, and how does it work?
Chiconomise was set up by me about nine months ago, as an e-newsletter. We relaunched the wholesite in response to the fantastic feedback we received. Chiconomise is all about empowering women to save money. There are so many choices on the internet: what we do is pull everything together on one site. High street sales, vouchers, sample sales - you just come to us.
Why online shopping?
95% of things are cheaper online than they are on the high street - there are so many bargains to be had. You just need to be organised and kind of know what your'e looking for. Look at things like members' clubs, sample sales - that what we provide, all these different ways of achieving the product at a better price.
And what's your favourite thing to shop for right now?
I'm a big fan of the maxi dress at the moment, although I kind of struggle a little bit - I tend to rock up to work meetings in my flip flops and maxidresses, which is getting me a few strange looks.
So you don't wear business suits?
You know, sometimes you get these girls, and they think to be a businesswoman you've got to fold your arms, wear a business suit and be really bolshy. I just think you're a woman, and you have to be true to yourself. Work as hard as you can work, and as long as at the end of the day you're proud of what you're done, you've won!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Lifestyle © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets